For Immediate Release: For More Information:
Tuesday, May 27, 2014 Caroline Weisser, OFA, firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Luecke, The Solar Foundation, 202-469-3732
Matt Lappé, Alliance for Climate Education, 303-819-7194
Katie Ullmann, Mosaic, 617-529-8039
Rob Sargent, Environment America, 617-747-4317
Nathan Landers, Sierra Club, 415-977-5683
Jeff Gohringer, League of Conservation Voters, 202-454-4573
Susan Stephenson, Interfaith Power & Light, (415) 561-4891
Organizing for Action, Mosaic, The Solar Foundation, Solar Energy Industries Association, SolarChat, Vote Solar, NRDC, Interfaith Power & LIght, Sierra Club, Environment America, World Wildlife Fund, REVERB, The Climate Reality Project, Alliance for Climate Education, League of Conservation Voters, The Solutions Project
Groups Announce Day of Action to Support Solar Energy and #PutSolarOnIt
This June 21st, the longest day of the year, a coalition of groups will come together in a National Day of Action to show support for switching to clean energy, fighting climate change, and the power of bringing solar power to communities all across the country.
2014 has been a breakout year for solar. Solar equipment costs continue to come down and installations continue to grow. More solar energy generation has been installed in the U.S. in the last 18 months than in the 30 years prior, and solar energy is the leading source of new electric generation capacity so far this year. The United States now has enough installed solar capacity to power more than 2.2 million homes. In many states, solar power is now competitive with other sources of energy without emitting the dangerous greenhouse gases that cause climate change.
The overwhelming judgment of science is that we need to act on climate. Solar energy is a win-win solution:this growing sector can create jobs, bring savings to consumers and reduce the production of dangerous carbon pollution that causes climate change.
All across America there are opportunities to #PutSolarOnIt – to turn our homes, our churches, our schools our lands and our neighborhood rooftops into solutions to climate change.
June 21st is a National Day of Action for us all to find a way to #PutSolarOnIt by identifying, supporting, and rallying our social networks to support solar energy, or joining a local event to support a community based solar installation.
#PutSolarOnIt actions include:
- Mosaic will launch a new organizing platform for people to use to take their favorite places solar – Mosaic Places.
- Organizing for Action chapters across the country will host a national grassroots day of action at local solar installations.
- Interfaith Power & Light will be reaching out to over 15,000 congregations in over 40 states to celebrate congregations that have installed solar, hold solar workshops to help those congregations that want to install solar and highlighting our many solar success stories.
- WWF is promoting solar at the Chicago Green Music Festival and promoting ‘PutSolarOnIt’ to its nationwide membership.
- Sierra Club is organizing events in multiple states, including solar house parties, press conferences, celebrating new installations, and passing municipal resolutions declaring June 21st “Put Solar On It Day”.
- The Solar Foundation is hosting its annual flagship event on this day on a sunny Washington, DC rooftop, overlooking the Capitol.
- Environment America and its state chapters will reach out to their members urging them to put solar on it in their communities and highlight examples local, state and national solar success stories through social media and local events.
- Alliance for Climate Education will promote the day of action through its social media network and ask its high school student network to submit creative photos of where they want to #PutSolarOnIt.
- The Climate Reality Project is asking its global network of 6,000 trained Climate Reality Leaders to make community presentations about the global growth of solar on June 21st and engaging its extensive social media network to share photos of where they want to #PutSolarOnIt.
- The Solar Energy Industry Association, Vote Solar and others will promote the day through its social media channels.
- REVERB is promoting the day through its social networks and encouraging its major musician partners to do so as well.
- The League of Conservation Voters will kick off an educational social media campaign focused on the benefits of solar energy.
- The Solutions Project will promote the day through its social media and influencer networks, encouraging house warming (for planet cooling) parties to celebrate neighbors that #PutSolarOnIt.
Some of the most powerful solutions to climate change are coming from locally driven, public and private efforts to go solar. On June 21st the #PutSolarOnIt coalition will get America involved in helping to become a part of the solar revolution sweeping the country.